Sunday, July 10, 2011

I flew up to visit Katie in Lismore a few days ago. Lismore is a regional center, but not exactly a booming metropolis. Population approximately 30,000. The term podunk rests on the tip of one's tongue.

When I told some friends where I was going, their responses ranged from, "On purpose?" to "Bring a book," to "What in God's name for?" I didn't bring a book, in the end, though I did bring some papers and my computer out of necessity. I also brought my indefatigable and yet-to-be-disproved belief that even the most unassuming places are full of possibilities.

And wouldn't you know, Lismore turned out to be full not only of possibilities, but sunshine and bacon and many other things! We visited a koala hospital...


Had a lesson in lawn bowls from the local coach...


Tried our hand at a bit of Putt-Putt...


Totally baked an amazing strawberry rhubarb pie (and, indeed, were so astounded by the leaps in domesticity jointly made since we failed at heating up fish sticks in 2nd year uni that we also made pancakes, schnitzel, delicious honey soy kebabs, fancy pasta and oh so much bacon)...


It was only a few days, but we also did a spot of bushwalking (not pictured as we were busy outrunning giant bats), some exploring about town and purchasing of second hand furniture, a bit of work and much catching up.

As I was queuing at the Jetstar desk last night after my flight home from Ballina had been cancelled and we'd all been bussed to the Gold Coast instead, there was a guy behind me having a whingefest about the delays. Sure, I'd have liked to get home on time too, I wanted to say, but did you miss the part about how we're getting vouchers for free food? When else do you get to buy exciting airport food and not feel guilty about spending $9 on a sandwich?

In the wise words of a certain Lex Luthor, "Possibilities... endless possibilities."

No comments: