Saturday, December 07, 2013

'Tis the Season of Cheer & Fine Smells

On my way home from work last night, I stopped at the market on Freyung to look at the pretties and pick up a few things I'd noticed last weekend and been mentally deliberating over since. As I passed between a stall selling Glühwein and a stall selling Austrian Weihnachtskuchen, the smell of brandy mixed with the smells of fruitcake and gingerbread, and Mom's plum pudding came to mind. Yes, I thought to myself, that there is the smell of Christmas.


I don't even like plum pudding.


Gingerbread, though.


And the other things. Nut butter balls, chocolate peanut butter squares, shortbread, pink and green squares that my mom has stopped making because "we can't do everything, and your father would never forgive me if I skipped the rum balls or Christmas cake".

Perhaps the title of this post should have been "'Tis the Season of Cheer, Fine Smells, & Butter".

No comments: