Tuesday, November 17, 2009

This must have been what it was like back in The Day. Back when people didn’t have the Internet. Back when they Sat Around And Bonded instead of watching television, Obeyed their Parents and Walked Uphill to School Both Ways. I’ve been here in my new home for over a week, and let me tell you... some people think they have it tough. People in war torn countries, people with diseases, people who know people with diseases. And those are tough things indeed. But this? This is unbearable.

With no Internet and no piano I have nothing to do at home besides read up on time series analysis, so I’ve been staying at uni until late in the evening like some overeager doctoral student. The other night I’d eaten dinner and was watching videos of Zimerman playing Chopin (Ballade No. 1 - my current project) on YouTube, when security came by and asked me to give them a call when I left.

As I see it, I have three choices. One, suck it up. Two, buy myself a little pay-as-you-go USB type gadget that I don’t really know the words for, but I know is expensive. Or three, move. Again. Never got around to writing about last weekend’s move here. I’ve been waiting for the bruises to heal first. But I’ll say this: it took three trips and six hours and is not something I’m eager to do again in the near future. Or maybe ever. The rest of the house isn’t bad, apart from the fact that it’s been cleaned by a man. In other words, it seems clean until you look closely – then you see the dust. We’ve got the little worms that were falling from the chimney onto the stove under control. And one of the first things I did was replace the mouldy dish sponges, and throw out the bowl of water he’d been keeping them in so no one would be tempted to use it again. Gave the sink pluggers a good scrub because those were mouldy too. Like the move, another memory I’d rather not relive.

The moral of the story is that I’m good right here for the time being, thank you very much, despite the lack of Internet. So now I have to decide whether I’m going to get very good at time series or very caught up on Supernatural. Hmmm. What to do...

No comments: