Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Worldly Goods

Two and a bit years ago, I arrived in Sydney with a suitcase, a camping pack and a small overnight bag.


When I hefted them up to the airport check-in, they weighed in at a couple kilos over the limit.  I handed over my passport and explained that I was headed to Australia for three years.  The man behind the desk, who had just charged the guy before me an extra fee because his one suitcase was a half kilo too heavy, said, “You’re going to Australia for three years, and that’s all you’re taking?"

He wished me happy travels and didn’t charge me anything.

I moved house this weekend, and this is part of what moved with me…


My original pack and suitcase are the two under the desk.  Not pictured?  Table, piano and fridge.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  

No comments: